Funded Internships in China
Generation UK – China was launched by the British Council in 2013. By 2020, it aims to help 80,000 students from the UK boost their employability, enhance their long-term job prospects, and develop a global mind-set through study and work experience opportunities in China.
The programme offers funded internship placements and academic scholarships for UK students to gain international experience in China. By encouraging UK students to engage with China, Generation UK aims to bring young people from both countries closer together, increase mutual understanding, and pave the way to lasting links and partnerships between the UK and China.
The Generation UK – China campaign is supported by all four government administrations in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).
To find out more about the campaign and how you can get involved, please visit the British Council’s Generation UK – China website here.
If you are accepted for Generation UK funding, you will be able to do an 8 week internship in your chosen field, accommodation in a shared apartment with 2-3 other interns throughout your stay, receive full support from the IC team before, during and after your stay and you even get comprehensive travel insurance to cover your 8 week stay. This is a fantastic opportunity to be a part of a prestigious government funded programme, increase your international employability and enjoy all of the benefits of an InternChina programme for free!
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
If you’re awarded a place on the programme, you’ll need to cover the cost of your flights to and from China, the cost of the appropriate visa (£151), day to to spending money and will be required to provide a £200 deposit that’s fully refundable at the end of your time in China.
For all of our Generation UK funded programmes, there is a strict eligibility criteria each applicant will need to meet in order to be considered for the funding.
Eligibility criteria for the Generation UK funding:
- Currently enrolled or graduated from a UK university within the last year.
- Have achieved, or be on track to achieve, a 2:1 degree. Students in their first year of study are not able to apply until they’ve completed their first full academic year.
- Have received either a grant or a certain level of loan from students finance, all defined here.
- Be a UK passport holder if studying in England or Wales.
- Be a UK or EU passport holder if studying in Scotland.
- Be a UK or Irish passport holder if studying in Northern Ireland.
- Be at least 18 years old.
We will also be accepting applicants studying for a higher education qualification at a number of FE colleges in Northern Ireland. These colleges include:
- Belfast Metropolitan College
- CAFRE (College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise)
- North West Regional College
- Northern Regional College
- South Eastern Regional College
- South West College
- Southern Regional College
Applications for the InternChina Generation UK are now open.
Not sure about a certain aspect of taking part or the programme? Check out our FAQs page for lots more details!
Ready to apply now?
To register your interest in our Generation UK programmes and to receive more information on how to apply, please complete the form below. Or to complete the full application form please click here.