Generation UK – China was launched by the British Council in 2013. By 2020, it aims to help 80,000 students from the UK boost their employability, enhance their long-term job prospects, and develop a global mind-set through study and work experience opportunities in China.
The programme offers funded internship placements and academic scholarships for UK students to gain international experience in China. By encouraging UK students to engage with China, Generation UK aims to bring young people from both countries closer together, increase mutual understanding, and pave the way to lasting links and partnerships between the UK and China.
The Generation UK – China campaign is supported by all four government administrations in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).
To find out more about the campaign and how you can get involved, please visit the British Council’s Generation UK – China website here.
If you are accepted for Generation UK funding, you will be able to do an 8 week internship in your chosen field, accommodation in a shared apartment with 2-3 other interns throughout your stay, receive full support from the IC team before, during and after your stay and you even get comprehensive travel insurance to cover your 8 week stay. This is a fantastic opportunity to be a part of a prestigious government funded programme, increase your international employability and enjoy all of the benefits of an InternChina programme for free!
For all of our Generation UK funded programmes, there is a strict eligibility criteria each applicant will need to meet in order to be considered for the funding.
Eligibility criteria for the Generation UK funding:
- Currently attending or recently graduated from a UK university.
- Achieved at least a 2:1 in your undergraduate or postgraduate course. If you’ve not completed your course yet, the grades you’ve already achieved must average to a minimum of 59% after your first year of study. Students in their first year of study are not able apply until they’ve completed their first full academic year.
- Graduated within 12 months of submitting your Generation UK funding application, if you’re now no longer in higher education.
- Have received either a grant or a certain level of loan from students finance, all defined here
- Hold a UK passport or be an EU Home Student.
- Be at least 18 years old.
The application window for our 2018 funded programmes is now closed.
You can register your interest below and we’ll get back to you with updates on exactly when the application window will open for our funded 2019 programmes and if any additional funded programmes in 2018 are announced.
To register your interest for future Generation UK programmes, please complete the form below: