NEW ZEALAND STUDENTS!
If you’re a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, over the age of 18, InternChina is offering a 10 week Chinese language and internship experience in Zhuhai, China.* Successful applicants will receive financial support through the Prime Minister’s Scholarship for Asia (PMSA) programme. To be selected you’ll therefore need to meet PMSA and InternChina criteria and must be available for the full duration of the programme, from 26th November 2018 until 3rd Feb 2019.
Application Deadline: 30th June 2018.
The 10 successful applicants will take part in an intensive two-week beginners’ course, in Mandarin Chinese, at InternChina’s partner language school. During this period, you’ll live with a local family as part of our unrivaled homestay programme, giving you the chance to practice your language skills and experience local culture first-hand. Don’t worry, every family will also have an English speaker! It will then be ‘goodbye!’ to your family in China and ‘hello!’ to your newly found independence.
Following the language course, you’ll carry out an eight-week internship at a company related to your course of study. During your internship you’ll live in our shared apartment accommodation with other interns from InternChina. We’ll fully support you in finding which of our many host companies best suit your interests and development goals, prior to your arrival.
Throughout the visit in China, you’ll be supported by InternChina’s friendly and experienced on-site team. Support will include pick-up and orientation, 24-hour emergency assistance, and opportunities to join a range of ongoing events, trips and activities. Because your internship placement is funded by the Education New Zealand administered PMSA programme, all you need to worry about is making the most of the experience.
- All programme fees
- Return flights
- Accommodation (two weeks in homestay followed by eight weeks in shared apartment)
- $150 weekly living allowance
- $200 towards Visa application fees and immunisations
- Medical and travel insurance
- Chinese Language classes
We are looking for people with a genuine interest in China who are dedicated to their studies and future career goals.
Because there is a lot of competition for places, applicants will be subject to a strict assessment process, and funding will be awarded to those students who display an excellent academic record and strong interest in China, subject to Education New Zealand approval. There will be three stages of assessment:
- Written Application
- Phone Interview
- Final Education New Zealand Assessment
Applicant Criteria (as per PMSA Guidelines)
All PMSA applicants:
1. Must be New Zealand citizens or permanent resident holders.
2. Must have proof of faculty sign-off from their New Zealand institution, on their proposed course of study, if they want to count the academic credit for any study in Asia towards their NZ qualification.
3. Must undertake the programme stated on their application. Changes are not encouraged and in all cases must be notified in writing to ENZ. Changes are approved on a case-by-case basis.
4. May hold other scholarships, awards or grants in addition to the PMSA (if those other awards allow). The PMSA amount awarded will take this into account.
5. May apply more than once for a PMSA scholarship, and be awarded (at different times), more than one PMSA scholarship. However, the maximum funded period over all PMSA awards is twenty-four months.
To be considered you must attached a copy of the photo page in your passport and your permanent resident visa if applicable. Preference will be given to those who have a recommendation letter from their university and don’t write their motivation statement in all caps. Good luck!