Before applying for this internship program, you must apply directly to Swinburne and have your application approved. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions if you have not already done this.
InternChina are proud to have partnered with Swinburne University of Technology to deliver an exciting Engineering internship, language and cultural group program in the beautiful city of Zhuhai in Guangdong Province, China.
Deadline for applications is 31st March 2020
Destination: Zhuhai, Guangdong, China
- Arrival: Sunday 21 June 2020
- Immersion Week: Monday 22 – Friday 26 June 2020
- Internship: Monday 29 June – Friday 31 July 2020
- Departure: Saturday 1 August 2020
Format: The first week will consist of Swinburne students taking part in a program of language classes, company visits, a calligraphy class and group dinners. Following this, students will begin their 5-week internships in their full-time internships in various host companies. Internships are Monday to Friday meaning students will have the opportunity to join InternChina’s optional evening and weekend activities.
Swinburne Engineering Program in China
Language of Instruction: English
About the Program:
Students will reside in a private room in InternChina’s shared apartment accommodation which is typically based on two or three people sharing. All apartments are furnished to a good standard with cooking equipment and utensils provided. Students may reside with other participants from Swinburne or may be living with those from other universities taking part in other programs with InternChina as apartments are assigned to provide the most convenient commute to students’ host companies.
During the first week, students will undertake 10 hours of Mandarin Chinese language classes as well as two company visits, a calligraphy class and group dinners. The mandarin language classes aim to provide students with a good base understanding of the Chinese language and offer some useful words and phrases which will help with day to day life. What students learn in these classes will hopefully provide the foundations for further, independent mandarin study following program completion.
Students will visit leading, international companies with a focus on engineering processes, product design, manufacturing, quality assurance and project management. Companies will offer students an introductory presentation and the opportunity to witness operations first hand.
InternChina offers an active social program, with optional dinners every Thursday for all students on place and optional weekend activities and trips every week. As part of the Swinburne Program, students will also have two exclusive dinners as a group included in the program fees to meet one another and try some delicious Chinese food together.
Students should ideally begin the internship application process with InternChina before the end of March. Students will begin their internship placements in the second week and be exposed to how engineering theory is put into practice by being integrated into the day to day tasks, challenges and objectives of the host company. Students will associate with leaders in their field and establish a network of useful China-based contacts. Students are expected to learn technical skills and develop a range of soft skills, all of which are highly sought after by employers. All students will have an English-speaking supervisor but will be working with colleagues from China and most likely other countries too.
This program will act as an enabler for students to gain unparalleled insight into China, notably the world of manufacturing, product design, sourcing and procurement and the opportunities it presents. It will be a platform from which the students can forge new networks, acquire real hands-on experience and gain industry knowledge.
Am I eligible for this experience?
To be eligible you must:
- Be in good academic standing’
- Be enrolled in a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) degree at Swinburne University of Technology
- Receive approval to gain academic recognition for the experience through EAT20008
Total Price – $4,135.00 (+$300 AUD refundable bond)
What’s Included in the Program?
- Internship in China-based host company
- 10 hours of mandarin lessons
- Accommodation in private room in shared apartment
- Pickup and transfer to accommodation
- Comprehensive medical and travel insurance
- Visa application letter and support during this process
- Registration with local police station (legal requirement in China)
- Welcome package including SIM-card, T-Shirt & useful info prepared by our team
- Orientation presentation
- Personal introduction to your host company
- 24/7 emergency contact person
- Company visits and calligraphy activity
- 2 group meals
- Option to join regular trips & events (at extra cost)
- Access to our exclusive alumni network
What’s not Included?
- Visa application fees
- Day to day living expenses
- Any vaccinations/inoculations recommended by your doctor
- Any other costs incurred that aren’t specifically mentioned as being included in the program
Please complete the internship placement form and don’t forget to attach your CV and Passport Photo Page. We will reply to your submission by email as soon as possible and we look forward to hearing from you.
Don’t forget to register with Smart Traveller before you depart