WELCOME TO INTERNCHINA
InternChina are proud to have partnered with University of South Australia to deliver an exciting Mechanical Engineering internship, language and cultural program in China with Funding from Australia’s New Colombo Plan (NCP).
APPLICATION DEADLINE 10th August 2019, APPLY BELOW
The Destination: Zhuhai, Dalian, Chengdu or Qingdao
Duration: 4 weeks (option to extend at additional cost)
Funding: Funding: Recipients will receive up to $4000 of travel grants ($3000 from NCP + up to $1000 from UniSA)
Format: Students will be matched with a local homestay family, with whom they will live with for the duration of the program. All families will have at least one English speaker. Families will provide breakfast and evening meals for students.
Upon arrival, students will be taken to meet the family and will receive an in-country orientation and host company introduction by InternChina prior to beginning their internship. The host company will be arranged between InternChina and the student prior to arrival, and all participants will have the opportunity to speak with potential host company prior to committing to a particular internship.
Internships will be full-time Monday – Friday with a minimum 35 hours in the company per week. Students will have complimentary access to 16 hours of Mandarin Chinese language classes which can be taken either as one to one, private lessons or with other students as part of a group during evenings and weekends.
Students will also have the opportunity to join up to four activities hosted by InternChina at no extra cost.
Language of Instruction: English
* We recommend students undertake these internships during their summer break in December 2018/January 2019 OR December 2019/January 2020. The winter break of July 2019 is also possible, with Program Director approval
Hear more about the programme
About the Programme: Students will be placed in leading, international companies with a focus on engineering processes, product design, manufacturing, quality assurance and project management. Companies will offer students the opportunity to be part of operations first hand. Students will associate with leaders in their field and establish a network of useful China-based contacts. Students are expected to learn technical skills and develop a range of soft skills, all of which are highly sought after by employers. All students will have an English-speaking supervisor but will be working with colleagues from China and most likely other countries too.
InternChina offers an active social program, with optional dinners every Thursday for all students on place and optional weekend activities and trips every week.
This program will act as an enabler for students to gain unparalleled insight into China, notably the world of manufacturing, product design, sourcing and procurement and the opportunities it presents. It will be a platform from which the students can forge new networks, acquire real hands-on experience and gain industry knowledge.
- Australian citizen (must not have citizenship or residential rights in China)
- Between 18 – 28 years
- Be in 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of their engineering degree
- Have no more than 2 fails
- Must not have previously received an NCP short term grant
- Must be yet to take either MENG 3007 Industrial Experience or the ‘elective’ in the program
What’s Incuded in the Program?
- Internship in China-based host company
- 16 hours of mandarin lessons
- Accommodation with homestay family
- Pickup and transfer to accommodation
- Comprehensive medical and travel insurance
- Visa application letter and support during this process
- Registration with local police station (legal requirement in China)
- Welcome package including SIM-card, T-Shirt & useful info prepared by our team
- Orientation presentation
- Personal introduction to your host company
- 24/7 emergency contact person
- 4 InternChina activities
- Option to join dinners & trips (at extra cost)
- Access to our exclusive alumni network
What’s not Included in the Program?*
- Visa application fees (Estimated Visa Cost $150.00)
- Day to day living expenses
- Any vaccinations/inoculations recommended by your doctor
- Any other costs incurred that aren’t specifically mentioned as being included in the program
* You will have up to $1260 of remaining grant funding ($4000 grant minus the $2740 program cost) to contribute to these additional costs.
** You will be responsible for a return international flights from Adelaide to your host city (either Zhuhai, Dalian, Chengdu or Qingdao)
Don’t forget to register with Smart Traveller before you depart. If you wish to find out more about extending the duration of your placement at extra cost, please make a note in the application form. If you have an up to date CV, please attach this at the bottom of the form.
Please complete the internship placement form below and we look forward to hearing from you.
If you have questions or would like to discuss specific internships with us, please email Rosey Ogden – email@example.com. Rosey is based in our Manchester office and will be happy to chat to you about the programme by email or on the phone.